Saturday, July 2, 2011

I am Truly Blessed

We are truly blessed in America. Whenever I see people in other parts of the world living in poverty, barely making it, taking one day at time trying to survive, it just amazes me how blessed we truly are in this country. Sometimes our pets live better lives than many of these people all over the world.

Sadly our media only shows what they want to show to bring their ratings up. However, if you have access to the internet, it opens up a whole new world right in our own computers. We can tap into information, photos, and videos of how people are suffering and are being persecuted for their faith in other parts of the world.

The internet is great source for information, and also a great place to meet people. Facebook became a place for me to meet many people. I have come to meet people from all over the world. Last night, it was in Facebook that I was brought to tears while browsing through a friend’s photos. As I browsed each photo, I was humbled at what I saw and made a promise to God to never say I was poor again.

This very young friend had posted photos of himself and the little Sunday school he put together for children in Pakistan. The room was small and lacked chairs and every child sat on the floor while they sang gospel songs and worshipped our God. It was a poor looking building for a Sunday school. I’m sure there was no air-conditioning or any of the comforts we take for granted everyday here in America.

He played from a little worn-down keyboard in which he had made a makeshift box out of a filing cabinet drawer. I couldn’t figure out how he managed to place this old keyboard into this drawer, but it seemed to work for him. Photos showed him humbly playing the keyboard while children held their little hands together in prayer.

Other photos showed the children being fed. Their plates were placed on the floor before them. No utensils were seen, and they all ate with their hands. They seemed to share the same cups for the water they were being served. The meal looked like some kind of cereal. There were no hamburgers or hotdogs in their plates, nor were there any ketchup soaked French fries to go with it.

As I browsed through these photos, I thanked God for being truly blessed. We attend our mega churches here in America, with all the comforts available to us, and if the air-conditioner ever broke down, people would not attend church because they do not like to worship our Lord in the heat. We have comfortable seats, and Bibles are available for those who do not have one. Our get together after church include donuts, and coffee or juice. We have potluck lunches and bake sales accompanied by drinks. We do not have to eat with our fingers, we have utensils and napkins. We are very comfortable and safe to worship here in America. We are truly blessed.

I am no longer blinded by covetousness. God showed me how rich I am. I looked at my cozy little home with all its furniture and appliances, and I cried because I realized how blessed I am. I asked for forgiveness for complaining of not having enough. I will never say again that I am poor because I am not. God has richly blessed me. I have a roof over my head, a bed to sleep in, food to eat, and a job. When I lack, God will supply my needs. But best of all, I am blessed because I am free to worship God. I am not persecuted for my faith. God has kept me safe. What else could I need? I need nothing more.

No comments:

Post a Comment