Wednesday, July 13, 2011

My Pet Peeves about Facebook

Lately I’ve been pondering on a few things that annoy me, and the one that stands out more above the rest is my account with Facebook. Facebook is a great place to stay in touch with people you know: Family, friends, co-workers, etc. It is also a great place to get to know people from all over the world. However, with the good also comes the bad. Some people you just do not want to know.

When I first opened my Facebook account, it was a little daunting trying to figure out how to configure the settings and so forth. Just when I was beginning to enjoy my Facebook account, Facebook began to make some changes that have left many in a rant.

Now I have a few more pet peeves, as if I needed more. Some of my pet peeves about Facebook include,

• Being added to a group without being asked first. Most of the times all these groups seem to have the same cause or say the same things, and since my free time is very limited, I prefer not participate in them. However, every day I find people adding me continually to groups, which gets very annoying. I have close to three thousand friends on my Facebook account, and I spend more time clicking “leave group” and deleting all my e-mail notifications than I do anything else in Facebook. I much rather spend the time getting to know my FB friends a little better.

• Facebook sending out friend requests in my behalf or adding me to groups. Thank you Facebook, but I do not need your help in sending out my requests or adding me to anymore groups.

• Being tagged in a photo. What is that anyway? I’m still trying to figure it out, but I have found that it totally messes up the wall banner I created, as it pushes all my banner photos away until it completely disappears from my profile. Although I appreciate many of them, I much rather they post it on my wall or better… THEIR wall. The ones that crack me up are pictures of people pasting silly Photoshop photos of them into another picture, and then they tag you in all of them until your profile is filled with all their silly photos.

• Being “Poked.” Okay, if you want to talk to me or say “hi,” send me a message. Sometimes I look to the column on the right of the wall, and find there is a long, long line of people who have poked me, and then Facebook has the audacity of asking me if I want to poke them back. Sorry Facebook, my fingers would be little stumps by now if I did this e-v-e-r-y single day.

• When people hijack a comment. Ok, let me give you an example. You post something in your wall. Most people will click “Like.” A few will comment back with a relevant comment. Then there are those that are completely way off. They will write something totally off the wall that has nothing to do with what you just posted. It leaves one scratching their heads, trying to figure out what is going on through this person’s mind… well, maybe is best I don’t know.

• Being “hit on” by another Facebook friend without provocation. I don’t know what goes on through some people’s heads but if I just accepted your friendship request, why would you send me your telephone number and ask me for mine? First, wouldn’t you want to get to know me a little before being so daring and bold? If you did, you would soon find out I’M NOT interested. Just because I'm a woman, does not make me automatically interested in you.

• Being asked for money? Some ask for legitimate good causes. For example, Christian charities, ministries, etc. Now imagine hundreds of FB friends asking you for money... if only I were that rich or that stupid. Moreover, there are those that will try to scam people out of money with sob stories. I had one FB friend ask if I could help her daughter with a $900 dollar electric bill because she was sick and had children. I do not know the woman, and I guess I will never know her. I deleted her right after the request.

• How about having to stay up to date on changes Facebook is making, and then trying to find the way to protect yourself from having Facebook sell your private information?

• And, last but not least. My biggest pet peeve is… not being able to find any Facebook contact information so I can rant about their dumb changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment